It’s Chili Season! Oh, How I especially love Sweet Potato Chili!
I have made lots of recipes like this one and this one oh and one more with my slow cooker. I am STILL obsessed with it! Yesterday I made sweet potato chili that was beyond delicious! I was super excited for Mario to have it when he got home! I was hoping that little miss Sasha would at least try it, but alas, no such luck! Such a picky little thing!
As much as I LOVE summer, I am so excited for the Fall Season! The beautiful orange, red and yellow leaves on the trees, the crisp air, and the warmth of snuggling on the couch with my little. Just something about it that makes me want to bust out the slow cooker every damn day and make something piping hot that nourishes my family from the inside out!
This recipe is for you if you are into the Paleo lifestyle. I am NOT strictly Paleo but may think about trying it, just for the winter. Not sure how long I’d last since I have to have my OATS like every day! I either have them in my pancake or I have overnight oats or I will eat them with a diced apple cooked. Who doesn’t LOVE oats! I have to tell you, I do think I could live without any other carb, like quinoa or pasta, but not oats!
- 2-3 sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 2.5 C. Chicken broth – I use low sodium organic
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 C. Chopped onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 3 C. Chopped cauliflower- I buy mine already chopped + frozen.
- SPICES: Garlic Cumin Paprika Black Pepper Sea Salt (as much as you desire)
- 1 T. Chili Powder
- LOTS of fresh Cilantro – I use a ton! OBSESSED
Get cooking! Here is what ya do!
- wash the sweet potatoes, pat dry. dice them into little squares. Add to a bowl and pour in 2 T. water. Pop the bowl in the microwave, just for 3 minutes, to soften them.
- Meanwhile, Saute the turkey breast in a frying pan. I use avocado oil spray to coat the pan.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, pour out the water. In the same bowl, add your frozen cauliflower diced onion + green diced pepper. Stir it all up and mix well.
- I like to start my slow cooker before I toss everything in. I get it hot first and then I put in my ingredients. Set your slow cooker for 3-4 hours. The sweet potatoes take the longest to cook, so depending on your slow cooker you may need more or less time. I set mine on high for 4 hours.
- Now that your slow cooker is hot, Add in your broth, seasonings, and veggies. Stir it up and cover.
- Don’t put the cooked ground turkey in until there are about 30 minutes left on the slow cooker. Just set your turkey to the side- covered.
- When the timer reads 10 minutes (to go before it’s done), add in your cilantro. I use a TON, but we also love it. Depends on you and your family.
I didn’t make quinoa or pasta or noodles and we didn’t have crackers to dip or anything. This piping hot bowl of nourishment was perfect just as it was! Feel free to add whatever you and your family prefer. I think forbidden (black rice) would be amazing with this chili!
After we cleaned up, I had so much leftover so guess what! I will be eating it again tonight! If you aren’t into leftovers, you could freeze it for another night or share with some friends!