Fridays I will be doing running along with arms. Because arm workouts aren’t such a long workout and because my runs are under thirty minutes right now, doing both won’t deplete me to the point of exhaustion.
This run was easy compared to how I felt about it as I wrote it in my journal yesterday! Now don’t get me wrong, it’s hard. It’s all hard, but very doable especially knowing that you only have to run hard for a minute! If you start this book it’s imperative that you start with the first run, because you will teach your body to adapt to runs like today. If I had just skimmed through the book and decided to pick this run, there would be no way I could do today’s, because I’m not used to doing incline runs at a fast speed. NOW, after doing this run, my body has adapted! What a machine we can turn our bodies into when we train it properly!
- 60 sec- @6.0 0% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 6.4 4% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 6.8 3% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 7.2 2% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 7.6 1% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 8.0 0% incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 0 % incline 1 min. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 0 % incline 50 sec. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 0 % incline 40 sec. recover.
- 60 sec- @ 0 % incline 30 sec recover.
- 60 sec- @ 0% incline 30 sec. recover.
Onto a great arm workout that left me feeling pumped for the weekend! By the way, it’s Saturday morning. My arms are super sore! I got so used to total body training all summer, so after just focusing on triceps and biceps yesterday, all I can feel is my triceps are tights, super sore and it’s a feeling I missed!
Round one: 4 rounds
- triceps skull crushers– 25 lb. /12 reps for 2 sets then increase to 30 lbs /10 reps for 2 sets
- barbell bicep curl-25 lb. /12 reps for 2 sets then increase to 30 lbs /10 reps for 2 sets
- rope triceps press down-25 lb. /12 reps for 2 sets then increase to 30 lbs /10 reps for 2 sets
Round two: 4 rounds
- Overhead triceps press-15 lbs. /12 reps
- Hammer curls-10lbs. /12 reps
- Tricep push ups– I got 8 /7 /6/8
Round three: 2 rounds
- Ball walls /10 reps
- Pikes on stability ball /10 reps
- Ab wheel / 12 reps
- decline crunch holding a plate /10 reps
Eating today was okay, tomorrow will be better! I’ll be more prepared. almost done with next weeks plan!
**Thought for the day**
The one thing I know helps me get through my morning workouts and runs is my nutrition. I could NEVER do fasted cardio!! I know it’s super popular amongst those who compete in figure, bikini, and bodybuilding. It does work, but it works when drugs are involved- you know- steroids and other muscle performance drugs. But for me, a mom who is looking to stay lean tight and in athletic shape, I prefer to KEEP my muscle, not burn it off. works, if you’re using performance-enhancing drugs to protect your muscle mass. But for a natural lifter, fasted cardio is a very good way to eat away at your muscle mass.
You know the “C” word right? CORTISOL?? You’ve heard of it, right? Well in the morning, cortisol is high and bright!! When you go do cardio without food in your system, you never give your cortisol a chance to drop, which means it stays peaked. Maintaining a high cortisol all morning means you start losing muscle and hold onto bodyfat.
Here is what I do, and over the years it’s worked. I get up and eat around 7:00 with Sasha. I’ll also sip my coffee after I chug my two glasses of water. Usually by 8:30 I am at work with clients. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, I will start my workouts by 10:00-10:30. SO this means my body isn’t in a fasted state and I am done digesting my breakfast. The nutrients I had at breakfast are in my bloodstream still and my fat oxidation is superb for losing body fat!
Whatever you do, don’t go eating breakfast and then ten minutes later hop on that treadmill! Allow your body about an hour or so. Breakfast for me is light yet full of nutrients. Usually protein pancake protein waffles, smoothie bowl or oats. Nothing HUGE and so filling I look like I am 8 months prego!
SO for those of you mamas (many of my clients) who wake up and get out the door to run, try something different. Try mixing a scoop of protein along with a cup of water and ice and 1/2 cup berries. Mix well in a blender and drink up. wait about 30 minutes to an hour and then do your run. Not only will you burn more fat this way, but you’ll have even more energy to maybe run faster!
Have a great weekend!