I have been thinking about this post for quite some time now. Clients friends and people I meet on vacation often ask me how Mario and I eat when we go away. Now, before I really get into what and how we eat, I must say that I don’t consider us the “NORM”. I think that most of the people in our lives (Mario and I) eat and drink like most Americans. Mario and I eat like what I think two people in the fitness industry SHOULD eat like.
Not bragging here, just stating a fact- We have gone to Italy and traveled the Amalfi Coast starting in Rome and ending in Malvito (In Calabria) and back to Rome all in about 3 weeks. Think about all of that INSANELY DELICIOUS FOOD that would cross our lips! I did have pasta, pizza, gelato, Prosecco, meatballs and more and still I came home 4 pounds lighter. We went to Milan and then traveled to Bellagio which is on Lago Di Como and that was about 2 weeks and I came back lighter. Let me also say that when we are away whether it’s for 5 days or 3 weeks, the one thing we do not do is workout. You see, when you beat yourself up day in and day out every week of every month of every year, at some point your body needs some down time- so that’s when we take it.
At the airport and on the plane:
You can wreck your body before you even get on the plane with bad choices at the airport! You have everything from Dunkin Donuts to Five Guys and everything in between…
Here is what we pack for pre-flight and in-flight to eat:
- Lara Bars, Kind Bars, Quest Bars
- Trail Mix
- Baked yam in a container, oatmeal or eggs (yep, even if they stink)
- Once we go through security, it’s WATER WATER WATER
Here is how I stay in control of my eating when on vacation.
Let’s start with breakfast…… If you stay at any decent hotel, they offer MANY selections on the menu. You will see everything from cheddar cheese omelets to Belgian Waffles to cereal fruit and yogurt. You will also often find steel cut oats or old fashioned oats. Here is basically how both Mario and I order:
- Start with a bowl of steel cut oats made with water- on the side, bring a tiny bowl of blueberries, raw walnuts, cinnamon and honey. I always order a child’s portion which is basically what you would make at home for yourself (1/2 cup). Mario orders a full size order which is about 2.5 cups- too much for us chicks!
- I then order an egg omelet made with 3 whites & 1 whole egg, spinach, mushrooms and zucchini (if they have it) Mario will order 6 whites and a whole egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms and zucchini.
- We don’t get the hotel coffee, because most of the time it’s pretty shitty, and if your taste buds are used to Starbuck’s, only Starbuck’s will do- Most hotels and surrounding areas have a Starbucks. The other thing is that is you have a ways to walk, you will be burning off your breakfast!
You have to consider your activities while you are away. We just got back from Marco Island Florida. Our resort had a gorgeous pool and the stunning beach. We had to walk to breakfast lunch and dinner each day, and walk to the beach pool and everywhere else we wanted to go- so you are constantly burning calories, especially if your body isn’t used to that much walking. For us being with Sasha who is NOW CONSTANTLY moving, there is no more laying our asses on a beach chair and napping in the glorious sun. But if you are lucky enough to relax in the sun with a good book, then your breakfast SHOULD be light. I can’t fathom the thought or feeling of having a full belly of food laying in the hot sun- to me that is kinda gross!
Between breakfast and lunch, I will have tons of water and a Kind Bar or Lara Bar, but that’s all. Around 12:00 though, we are all ready to eat something! Now lunch is where I think most people fall off the HEALTHY WAGON! The drinks start flying, the chips are dipping and the fried foods are being fried! You can find anything from Margherita pizza to fried wings to Cobb Salad to burgers, sandwiches and more!
Here is how we order lunch:
- ALWAYS start with a sparkling water and fresh squeezed lemon and chug it! the bubbles will fill you up.
- You can ALWAYS order GRILLED fish, chicken or a burger with NO BREAD OR BREADING.
- Salads can always come without cheese and dressing on the side.
- I will either order a huge salad with grilled chicken or a turkey burger with no bun and a salad on the side. Same with Mario but he usually orders two chicken breasts.
- If we were super active or just got off a plane , we will indulge in the tortilla chips with guacamole and salsa. But with this, I know comes a puffy face and fingers the next morning due to the sodium- so this is a one shot deal (one day only).
After lunch we usually get Sasha to nap and walk walk walk. If she naps, we continue to walk or we park her stroller in the shade and relax in the sun for a good 45 minutes. When she wakes, it’s play time right up until about 5:00, when I usually plop her in the bubble bath and prep her for dinner. This is when Mario & I shower, get dressed and walk again- to dinner.
Here’s how we do vacation dinner:
Depending on how many nights we will be eating out, there may be one night where we indulge in a nice hearty dinner, otherwise it’s the norm for us…
- I start with ordering sparkling water with lemon for the table. I then order a crisp cold glass of Prosecco (The only alcohol I will drink) It’s light, not sweet, bubbly and so refreshing. Also takes the edge off especially running around with the little beast all day. Mario will entertain me and have a half a glass of wine but not usually.
- When bread comes to the table here is my trick. I don’t turn it down while away because I don’t eat bread at home. So while on vacation, I pull the crust off the doughy part and dip it into olive oil or butter. LOVE LOVE LOVE. You save so many calories just from eating the crust- it is the best part!
- For an appetizer, I usually get some sort of salad, whether it’s just a house green salad or some sort of beet goat cheese salad. Something light to hold me over until my entree comes.
- If it’s a night to indulge, I’ll have a pasta dish. If the order is large, I immediately half it.
- Around this time I will order another glass of procecco!
- for my entree I will usually have some sort of fish. This time while in Florida, I had the black grouper which was grilled and topped with lemon- perfect! The fish usually comes with some sort of veggie with sauce on it- I ask for steamed veggies NO SAUCE.
- Once we are done with dinner- that’s it- no dessert, no coffee. I bring my chamomile tea on vacation so Sasha can have some too each night. After I put Sasha to sleep, I drink that. It eases my belly, and relaxes me.
It’s NOT hard to eat healthy while you are away, and yet SO EASY to lose the body you worked so hard to get while you are away. Don’t get out of control just because you are on vacation. Enjoy yourself, but remember how you feel when you look your best. Bloating sucks! Hangovers suck!!!