I don’t know about you, but Mario and I plan vacations twice a year. We base our vacations around when our clients are away. With that being said, I always know when we will be away and how to get my body ready for vacation. I start prepping for my summer body in December. Do I diet? Nope. Do I workout seven days a week and do endless hours of cardio? nope. I am just mindful of my nutrition, workouts, and sleep. By the time March comes, mentally I am there (on vacation). While on vacation, Mario and I really try to NOT workout.
You see, I have been working out regularly since I am nineteen years old. Taking a week off here and there just isn’t in my lifestyle. The only times I do not workout are the five days I am on vacation in March and at most fourteen days in August. That’s it. Every week I workout five days a week. Sometimes, I may listen to my body and train six days, but never seven days straight- unless I am training for a half marathon, which is basically non-existent right now.
While on vacation, I can’t help but observe other people. I watch how people interact with their kids, how they talk to their spouses, and how they eat. I don’t judge, just observe. Because of what I do for a living, it’s just something I do naturally. I also catch some glimpses of how people watch Mario and I eat too. I guess when two fit people are on the buffet line for breakfast, people want to know what fit people eat for breakfast lunch and or dinner. Some people may even comment, and we are both really nice about talking nutrition because well, It’s our lifestyle.
S0 we just got back from vacation in the Carribean. It’s the second time we stayed at the same resort, but first time with Sasha. The one perk the hotel offered was that toddlers three years and younger eat for free! That’s a SCORE in my eyes because what three year old sits and finishes all the food on their plates!?
To say Mario and I let lose on vacation would be a flat out lie. We do not. We never have. Now, will I drink a glass or two of Prosecco, every night? You bet! There is nothing like a crisp cold glass of bubbly while on vacation! It’s how I decompress! Will Mario eat regular pasta and eat a big giant cheeseburger? Yup! I enjoy watching him too! He is totally relaxed with his wife and daughter, and there is nothing more I enjoy than watching my man relax! Will we eat chips and guacamole? For sure! YUM!
Again, when you are a routine person like myself and Mario, eating clean all year with the exception of two vacations a year, those crunchy chips and guacamole and Prosecco with a juicy cheeseburger do the body good! I noticed as soon as Mario ate this stuff, his veins would pop out of his legs and arms. I noticed My abs are tighter and I had NO bloating! We are both filled with energy from the sun which offers you THE BEST form of Vitamin D you can get. We are relaxed, not thinking about business, chores or household things we need to take care of. Our muscles are relaxed because we aren’t pounding the weights on vacation.
When people ask me how I lose weight on vacation, I point out the above mentioned. I also mention that for each meal, you are walking to wherever you are eating. You aren’t driving or walking into your dining room. After our meals, we are either chasing Sasha or jumping in the ocean. So while we aren’t lifting weights, we are walking more than usual and under NO STRESS. I tell my husband all the time I think he looks best physically when he is on vacation because he doesn’t eat so much, his belly is ripped and not bloated from all the protein he ingests. He rolls his eyes at me, but I tell it like it is.
Allow me to take you through a typical day for us on vacation. At the end of this post, I will have you coming back from vacation leaner than before you left!
- 7:00 am: Wake up. I usually get into the bathroom and wash my face and get dressed while Mario and Sasha either take a walk or play in the room.
- 7:30 am: I dress Sasha and Daddy gets dressed too. We walk to breakfast. Sasha skips! :O) We will usually take a walk to the beach before we sit.
- 7:45-8:00 am: We tell the waiter/waitress that we will do the buffet. For the amount of money it costs per person, you can bet your bottom dollar, we get up and down from the table about five times before we leave the restaurant.
**Buffet: Remeber something…. You have NO excuse to NOT have a healthy high protein low sugar breakfast on vacation. TRUST ME!
Sasha: I go with Sash first and grab a plate and a bowl. She would obviously love to JUST HAVE pancakes with maple syrup but try to steer her towards some other things to add to her plate. So, she will have two small pancakes, a Siggi’s yogurt with fruit on the side. Sometimes she will have a small bowl of oatmeal with a teaspoon of peanut butter and honey in it. We really try to reinforce healthy options, and for the most part, she does very well. Once she is done with her plate, she’ll usually fidget at the table, or get up and go on a hunt for little babies! She is obsessed.
Mama: For some reason, I LOVE steel cut oats on vacation. They have this big giant pot of gooey hot and mushy oatmeal that just does it for me. I have a bowl of oats, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and 1 teaspoon of honey. On the side, I fill my plate with melons- both honeydew and cantaloupe. I also add in chunks of pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries. I LOVE fruit and while on vacation, I always overload my body with them. Once I am done with my oats and fruits, I may or may not have an eggwhite omelet. I did have one the first day, but because I was so sick, my appetite sucked all week. I did enjoy the teeniest little single serving of chia pudding every day too. Instead of the egg white omelet, Sasha and I would go inside to the bar and order a custom juice. Every morning for six days straight, I’d order the same thing: Celery // Apple // Ginger // Cucumber // Lemon.
Did you know– Celery strengthens hydrochloric acid in the gut and provides mineral salts to the central nervous system.
Daddy: I don’t know where he puts it all but he has a huge bowl of oatmeal, walnuts, and berries and some banana. Two- yes TWO egg omelets with spinach and mushrooms, and lots of fruit. He finishes off his breakfast with a Beet // Spinach // Lemon juice every morning.
- 10:00 am: By the time breakfast was done, it was almost ten o’clock and time to walk back to our rooms to get on our swimsuits to walk all the way back to the beach, waterpark or pool.
- 10:30 am- 12:00: We play with Sasha and try to enjoy the sun. The times flies on vacation, doesn’t it? Mario and I usually look at each other around 11:30 talking about lunch. Our metabolisms are still in high gear because of the lean muscle we both have. I always say, if you don’t wake up starving in the morning, you may have a sluggish metabolism. I have a hungry belly after two hours!
- 12:30 pm: We had lunch at the same place every day except for one day. Starting at lunch, I am very specific about my meals. The waiter knows- NO SALT on anything. NO BUTTER or oil on anything. NO SALAD DRESSING on anything. NO FRIES on my plate. NO BREAD on the table. Seriously. The amount of butter and salt thrown on your meals is enough to put you into cardiac arrest! I am not exaggerating! Lunch a HUGE salad with 1-2 pieces of grilled chicken on top. With the dressing on the side, I am in control of how fattening I want my salad. I can eat salad with NO dressing, know why? (Being blunt here)Because I would rather feel great in a swimsuit and a dress then to eat something that will make me feel and look like crap. We did get a Margherita pizza for the table and for Sasha, and it wasn’t big or filled with globs of cheese. It was just enough for the three of us. Sasha would have three slices (cheese tossed off of course), Mario would have three slices and I would have two.
Did you know: The number one complaint of people who come back from vacation- “I feel bloated! The scale went up four pounds, I feel so sluggish!”
- 2:00- 4:00 pm: We would play a little more until I could tell that Sasha was wiped out from the water and the sun. Mario would go to the spa and shave and shower and Sasha and I would nap or as I would call it “SIESTA TIME!” She would pass out, as would I. This trip had me so sick with a sinus infection and a bloody nose all week, all I wanted to do was sleep.
- 4:30- 5:30 pm: Mario would take Sasha back out to the pool or waterpark while I would go to the spa and sit in the steam room. Had I not been sick, I would have been splashing with those two lucky ducks!
- 5:30-6:30 pm: We would get all fancied up for dinner. Again, walking to our destination. At this point, I would need a latte. Our hotel offered a nice strong latte made with almond milk. Plus, you do know that it does suppress your appetite right? (Wink wink)
- 7:00 pm: Both Mario and I always start with a nice salad. Appetizers weren’t appealing to me except for the Tuna Tare Tare (I had it once). I would just order a piece of grilled fish (Mario too) with side veggies including sweet potato mash, cauliflower or broccoli. I did have a HUGE juicy cheeseburger once (Without the bun). Mario would always order a side order of pasta with sauce, to fill his belly. I wasn’t having any pasta! We never order dessert, but did get Sasha some delicious Mango Sorbet, and some berries which we all shared.
And that’s it friends. My next post will include tips on how to recover from all of that vacation hoopla! How to get your body mind and belly back in action!
Here are some more vacation eating posts you may enjoy!
- How to eat on vacation.
- The pre-vacation nutrition plan you need to be on!
- My Vacation body plan
- How to rock that bikini!
- Count Down to Vacation!