So excited to share this savory bowl of nutrition, I hope you’ll love it as much as us! Mario and I both love hearty dinners in the Fall and Winter! Who doesn’t, right? While it isn’t exactly feeling like Fall yet, this meal will be perfect because you don’t have to make a HUGE POT of chili (per say).
Haven’t you heard? Bowls are the new plates?? HA! It’s so true though! I am still obsessed with smoothie bowls, I love quinoa bowls too, and who doesn’t love eating out of a big round bowl full of nutrition. There is something comforting about a big hot bowl of oatmeal, or chili or lentils- you catch my drift!
If you love cilantro + lime like me, then this dish is for you. The only thing I don’t use in my home is sour cream (dairy). I left it out and this dish was still delish!
I forget the name of the magazine I found this recipe in, but I will tell you that it called for beef, and I switched it up so I could use buffalo (bison). I bet if you wanted to use ground turkey, it would taste just as good!
Chipotle Buffalo Bowl
- 1/2 cup sour cream (we don’t use it, but you can)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 tsp. grated lime zest + 3 T. (juice of two limes)
- 1 pound ground Buffalo
- 2 T. water + 2 cups
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 cup Rice – I am using Jasmine or red
- 1 onion- diced
- 1 red bell pepper- stemmed / seeded / chopped
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 (15 oz. can) tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz. can) black beans rinsed
- 1 cup organic frozen corn (thawed)
- in a bowl, whisk the sour cream, 2 T. cilantro, 1 tsp. lime zest, 1 T. lime juice, 1/4 tsp. salt together in a bowl, cover and pop in the fridge.
- In another bowl, mix the buffalo, 2 T. water, baking soda, 1/4 t. salt and a pinch of pepper. mix well. Allow sitting for 20 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 T. olive oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook. You can also use your rice cooker (like me) if not, keep following directions. cook the rice until translucent. add remaining 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender- about 20 minutes.
- Shut the heat and add 1 tsp. lime zest + remaining 2 T. lime juice and gently fluff the rice with a fork. DIvide cooked rice into bowls. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 T. oil in a frying pan and add bell pepper and onion. cook until tender. Now add buffalo and break up. cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in cumin garlic, chile and cook until fragrant. Stir in tomato sauce, beans, corn and 1 tsp. salt. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Spoon chili over rice bowls, and sprinkle with remaining 2 T. cilantro and serve with lime cilantro crema. For an extra boost of healthy good fats, dice up an avocado and put on top!