A twist on chocolate chip cookies
Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? Hello! I sure do! I remember when I was little my mother had treats in the house but she’d keep them from me. I was a hyperactive kid who wasn’t allowed to have sugar. Any time I wanted something sweet, she would ration it. Remember Chips Ahoy? Oh, LORD! I loved them! I have a twist on chocolate chip cookies that will curb your sweet cravings!
Here is my twist on eating a healthier less sugary chocolate chip cookie that still tastes great!
In MOST of my baking which is not that often (I suck at it), I use almond flour + coconut flour. I do shy away from anything “WHOLE WHEAT” and any sort of white flour. I would rather have the healthier stuff and work with it to make it sweeter if need be. These cookies are basically a paleo version, and there are two ways you can make them.
This batch was a surprise for Sasha. The other day we made similar cookies but used honey. They came out flatter and crunchier. I gave Sasha five cookies to last five days, but that was a joke! They were gone in two days. She was in school when I made this batch, so as soon as they cooled, I picked up two and brought them with me to pick her up.
This is what they looked like before I put them in the oven. I was hoping they wouldn’t get stuck together and form one big giant cookie. I am always hopeful when I bake. I am NO Martha when it comes to this part of cooking in the kitchen. I try though! When the things I bake do come out great, I immediately divide them up and give Mario the rest to give to his clients! I can NOT have too much of this stuff in the house!
Look how great they came out! Fluffy and light. I bet I could have cooked them a little bit more to make them crunchier, but I am diggin’ the shape the texture and how good they are. Of course, I spent about forty-five minutes trying to snap the perfect pics of them so you can see how amazing they look!
How amazing would a few of these cuties be with a nice hot cup of chamomile tea? Sooo yum! Okay Okay, here is the recipe. If I were you, I would try it without the protein powder first, and see how amazing they are, or make two batches, one with an extra dose of protein and one batch without.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 T. Coconut Oil– Do not liquify it.
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 scoop Nutra Bio 100% Isolate Whey Protein
- 1/2 cup (or more) Lilly’s Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Get that oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with Parchment paper (I like the sheets).
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil, vanilla extract + maple syrup. Don’t melt the coconut oil. You’ll just need to use those muscles to get it mushy and to mix well with the other ingredients. Toss in the egg and mix again.
- In another bowl, add all dry ingredients except for the chips. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, try NOT to eat any… I know it’s tempting!
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the dough into a ball, flatten it with your hand and place on the baking sheet. My batch made 19 cookies.
Let me know how yours come out!